Showing you the "before" picture of the built-in in our bedroom kind of makes me feel like I left the lock on the dressing room door undone and you walked in on me trying on a bathing suit--it's that level of embarrassing. Yep, that's a sock in the lower left corner. And uh huh, those sure are vitamins, rolls of film and chapstick on the fourth shelf. I mean, we'd really given up.
I love the idea of this built-in, but the shelves were such an awkward height for us. It took a couple of years, but I finally found it in me to revamp the space and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.
I'm not sure how helpful this is for you, but if you're interested in the simple steps I took to redo the shelves, here you go!
After cleaning off and wiping down the shelves, I removed them from their brackets so that I had the empty shell to back with the paper I found at Paper Source. (The whole shelf took about two rolls with lots of leftovers.) If you're not impatient like I am, the next step could be to tape off and protect the inside of the shelf where you're not papering so that when you spray the adhesive on the back of the built-in, it doesn't get everything else sticky in the process. But clearly that was one more step that I didn't want to take, so I just wiped the inside of the built-in once the paper was up. Anyway, start spraying the adhesive in small areas and place the paper as you go. It's not a permanent hold at first, so you have some play room to adjust the paper. Since the roll didn't cover the entire height of my shelf, I used the shelves as markers to begin a new sheet of paper so that the seam wasn't apparent. The fun part was putting the shelves back in, but only half of them so that there was more space between for our books to fit vertically. PS--The two white, ceramic horse pieces, the elephant and the blue urn are all from either Ross or TJ Maxx.